Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Rug Drama - Painted Rug Tutorial


       Rugs are wonderful little things that really can add a nice statement to a room. Unfortunately  they usually have a hefty price tag attached that is quite less than wonderful. I've been scouting around for a rug for my front door, and found many...that is, many that were either too big, too small, too bland, too expensive, too the wrong color, too you get the point. I have the shopping patience of a small ant, so rather than opt to wait for the next 6 months to see if I found one I liked, I decided just to paint one. A painted rug is hardly a new concept, just google it and you'll see what I mean! I've used a a sharpie on a rug before, but this was a first for me to try to paint one.
     I picked a 3 x 5 cream colored rug for $13 from Walmart. It has a low pile and is quite heavy, which for a front door is a good thing! Nothing worse than a rug sliding all around and curling at the edges!


     I wanted something that would look like it was an actual rug design, not really something that looked crafty. I like decor that has a bit of drama, so I opted to put to go with a diamond pattern down the center. Rather than be all technical and actually measure anything, I grabbed a tin decoration I had lying around, and just traced three diamonds onto the rug with a grey marker.


      Because I don't trust my coloring in the lines skills, I taped off the edges before I filled them in with paint.


       I used a silver metallic paint from Martha Stewart's paint line. Unfortunately  the metallic shine didn't really come through once it was on the rug, but I still liked the color OK.


      Starting at the corners, I used a stencil I bought from Hobby Lobby to fill in the edges.


     Once it was finished, I felt it looked a little too flat. It needed something to give it just a bit of dimension.


      I decided to use a sponge and some cream colored paint to add a bit of depth to the diamonds.


      Using a very, very small amount of paint on the sponge, I patted it on randomly.


      It doesn't make a huge difference, but it's enough of one to keep it from just looking like blah grey diamonds.


      It's actually going to be turned length wise in front of the door, but I turned it this way so the light would hit it to take pictures. I haven't painted any walls yet, so my entry is still rather dark and tomb like...not the best for trying to take a clear picture of anything!


     I think this rug, paired with the chandelier and entry way furniture I have planned, will create just the right feel for a front door first impression. I have a thing for entries, I think they set the tone for the rest of the house.


       Now that I've bit the bullet and painted a rug for myself, the price would have to be pretty stinking amazing to get me to go rug shopping again!...that is, unless it's in the "plain Jane, less than $20" rug section! What do you think, are painted rugs too craftyish, or do you think they can look as good as the real deal?
    I hope the rest of your day is wonderful, thanks so much for stopping by!

Psalms 18:28   For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness. 

12 comments:

  1. What an idea! I agree that it's soo difficult to find the right rug. I've just been settling for Ikea finds and hand-me downs. I never thought you could paint one though!
    I really like it. The close-up of the diamond with cream accent looks much different than the far away photos, maybe the effect of the flash? Anyways, I think you did wonderful job! I've gotta pin this for future reference when I have an actual house to furnish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali,
    If I had and Ikea near me, I might settle for that too! =) I think the close up just catches the colors better. The grey paint was a metallic paint as well, so maybe it is reflecting the light more on the farther away shots. I also just patted the cream paint on, so from the side angle it might not really show up at all. I'm also not a very good photographer...so that might have something to do with it! =) Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I hope you get that house to furnish super soon!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this idea!! The only thing I would be concerned with would be how the paint would wear over time. I suppose it could be endlessly repainted as needed...Really Awesome Idea and pinned as we speak!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job on the rug! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to pass along a warm fuzzy. I came over here from Pinterest (I think -- still haven't figured out how to find the original place anything is posted!) to look at your circle bag tutorial. I got distracted by all your other bag/purse tutorials and then by this rug painting, and then by the cute little "I Spy" books... Now I have spent an hour here and still have not found what I sat down to look up! You have an engaging way of writing. Love your old house. AND I love your KJB verses at the end of your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally,
      Thank you for taking the time leave such a kind comment! It makes me so happy to know my little projects can bring a bit of enjoyment to others. Thanks again! :)
      Abby

      Delete
  6. LOVE your rug!!!!It looks great:)
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love this rug! I too can never find a rug I like, let alone one in my price range (read cheap)! It doesn't look "crafty" at all. it looks like the real deal.I am pinning this and so going to do this! I'd love it if you linked this to my new linky party, "What We've Accomplished Wednesdays."

    Have a great weekend!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this. I have been wondering about dyeing a couple of wool rugs that are the wrong colour. Maybe save that for a sunny day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Abby, I found you through Pinterest and have much in common, tb'm a blogger, and I'm getting into Pinterest;'m from Brazil .... Abçu!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out so beautiful :)
    I'm inspired

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before. hospitality timber serving ware

    ReplyDelete